Monday, December 21, 2009

Greetings from the Heart of the Sheraton Rockville Hotel


Greetings from the heart of the hotel! My name is Dagim Haileselassie and I am the Executive Housekeeping Manager at the Sheraton Rockville Hotel. As one of the two newest members of this great team, I have been with the Sheraton for three months. Coming from Atlanta, GA (or Hotlanta as we so affectionately refer to it), I expected this move to be a culture shock, but it really has not been. Born in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, the Washington, D.C., Maryland area, well known for its ridiculously LARGE Ethiopian diaspora, has been like going back home for me.


I believe a person’s identity should be ever evolving and never stagnant and if they are able to identify themselves with a particular thing/place and/or culture, all the better. Thanks to my beautiful, strong, loving mother, I have tried to shape my personality around values such as respect, integrity, generosity, & dedication. I think that’s what drew me to the hospitality industry. I feel good knowing that when others are away from home, we can make them feel like they have a family right where they are!

In my free time, I also practice yoga (not as often as I would like), dabble in photography, and volunteer with Unicef and Operation Smile. To my friends & family, I’m known as the “tell you like it is” one. I will never let someone walk out into the world looking crazy (especially if you’re with me) & if you’re in need of a reality check, I’m your girl. So when you’re on your way out to an important business meeting & you’re not sure if that belt matches those shoes, stop by our department. The ladies & I will tell you how it is.

Dagim Haileselassie
Housekeeping Manager

No comments:

Post a Comment